I was dismayed by Windows 11 for not being compatible with my notebook, even if it’s not that old: it has a 6th generation Intel processor, which was off the official Microsoft list. But, as expected, they have already created alternative methods to install the successor to Windows 10 even on PCs that don’t meet the minimum requirements, such as the TPM security module; check out how to do it below.
First of all, it is worth remembering that the procedures below are at your own risk.. Therefore, avoid installing Windows 11 to use for study or work, as this previous version certainly has some bugs. The final version is due in October 2021 for new PCs, and in 2022 as an update for Windows 10 computers.
Additionally, Microsoft may block the methods below at any time as they circumvent the company’s hardware requirements, so the instructions may not work in the future.
How to install Windows 11 on an unsupported PC
The method I used is the simplest, in my opinion: you need to download a script that puts your PC in the Dev channel of the Windows Insider program, which is where Microsoft is distributing Windows 11.
O XDA Developers Please note that this method does not require a Microsoft account, but you will need a computer with Secure Boot support – use this app to check if you meet this requirement.
If so, do the following:
- visit the OfflineInsiderEnroll script page on GitHub;
- on the button raw, click with the right button and choose the option Save link as…;
- go to the folder where the file was downloaded, click with the right button on it and choose the option Execute as administrator;
- this will open the command prompt, where you must enter the number. 1 and type Enter;
- Press Enter again and restart the computer;
- open the settings and click on Update and Security;
- click in Check for updates and wait for Windows 11 to download.
How to Install Windows 11 Using Registry Editor
If you don’t want to run a script on your machine, there is a way to do the process manually in Registry Editor, but you will need to be logged in with a Microsoft account. It is worth noting that, in this case, you could end up being removed from the Dev channel in the Insider program at any time.
See how to do it:
- follow the path Settings > Update and Security > Windows Insider Program;
- click in Start now, choose the option Release Preview, click in Confirm and restart the computer;
- open the start menu, type it regedit and click on Registry Editor;
- follow this path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > WindowsSelfHost > Applicability;
- double click on branchname, change the value to Dev and click on OK;
- double click on ContentType and change the value to Mainline and click on OK;
- double click on ring and change the value to External and click on OK;
- restart the computer;
- follow the path Settings > Update and Security > Windows Insider Program and you should be on the Dev channel;
- in the same window, click on Windows Update and on the button Check for updates to download Windows 11.
Clean installation of Windows 11 on unsupported PC
If you haven’t been able to get Windows 11 yet, or if you’d rather do an installation from scratch, you can do that. creating a hybrid ISO image. O XDA Developers has the complete guide – the procedure is more complicated than the ones listed above.