Microsoft officially revealed several details about Windows 11 last Thursday (25), including the new Start menu, support for Android apps and Xbox gaming features. She also released the minimum specifications to run the new system and, according to a survey carried out by Techblog, Intel or AMD processors released before 2017 will have to remain in Windows 10. Check below if your PC is compatible with the new system.
The official website for Windows 11 says that one of the minimum specs is to have a 1GHz processor with two or more 64-bit cores. However, a Microsoft document explains that there is another important requirement: the chip must “be present in the list of supported processors”.
There are three lists of Windows 11 compatible processors made by Intel, AMD and Qualcomm. In all three cases, models launched before 2017 are left out, whether they are from the Core, Xeon, Ryzen or Epyc line, as found by the Techblog.
This means that Intel Core 5th, 6th and 7th generation models – with the Broadwell and Skylake microarchitectures – do not work with Windows 11, despite being supported by Windows 10.
In AMD’s case, it’s a little worse: even several models released in 2018 are incompatible, such as the Ryzen 3 2200G, Ryzen 5 Pro 2400G and Ryzen 7 2800H. This affects chips that use older architectures like Raven Ridge and Zen 1.
That is, it’s possible that your computer apparently meets the minimum specs for Windows 11, but the PC Health Check tool says it’s incompatible. This happened to me: I have an HP notebook with more than 4GB of RAM, more than 64GB of space, and TPM 2.0 enabled. However, the processor is a 6th generation Core i5, so it will be left out.
With this restriction, a half of the Microsoft Surface devices released to date will be incompatible with Windows 11: This is the case with the first generation Surface Laptop, Surface Book and Surface Go, plus Surface Pro 5 and earlier. The company’s recommendation, of course, is to buy a new PC.
How do I know if my PC is Windows 11 compatible?
That’s easy; check out:
- download and install the PC Health Check app on the Microsoft website;
- open the tool and click on check now.
These are the minimum specifications, according to Microsoft:
- 1GHz processor with two or more 64-bit cores, which is on the official list of compatible models
- 4 GB RAM
- 64GB of storage
- HD screen (720p) larger than 9 inches
- DirectX 12 or higher compatible video card or graphics chip with WDDM 2.0 driver
- compatible with UEFI, Secure Boot, and Trusted Platform Module (TPM) in version 2.0
How to know the processor model in Windows 10?
To find out which processor is present on your PC, follow these steps:
- open the start menu, type it tasks and click on Task Manager;
- you can also use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + Esc;
- click on the tab Performance;
- the processor model will be at the top right corner.
Which Intel processors run Windows 11?
O Techblog drafted an abbreviated version of Intel processors that are compatible with Windows 11, according to Microsoft:
- 8th Generation Core i3, i5, i7 and i9, with model number in the format 8xxx (example: i5-8310Y)
- 9th Generation Core i3, i5, i7 and i9, with model number in the format 9xxx (example: i3-9100F)
- 10th Generation Core i3, i5, i7 and i9, with model number in the format 10xxx (example: i7-10700E)
- 11th generation Core i3, i5, i7 and i9, with model number in the format 11xxx (example: i9-11900KF)
- Pentium Gold, Pentium Silver, more models Pentium J6426, N6415 and 6805
- Atom X series released in 2021 (x6200FE, x6211E, x6212RE, x6413E, x6414RE, x6425E, x6425RE, x6427FE)
- Celeron from the G series with model number in formats G4xxx (example: G4900T) and G5xxx (example: G5905T)
- Celeron from the J series with model number in formats J4xxx (example: J4125) and J6xxx (example: J6412)
- N series Celeron with model number in formats N4xxx (example: N4100), N5xxx (example: N5100) and N6xxx (example: N6210)
- Celeron 3867U, 4205U, 4305U, 4305UE, 5205U, 5305U, 6305 and 6305E
- 2nd and 3rd generation Scalable Xeon, more Xeon E and Xeon W
Which AMD processors run Windows 11?
Check below the AMD models that, according to Microsoft, can run Windows 11:
- Ryzen 3 and 3 Pro with model numbers in the formats 3xxx (example: 3200GE), 4xxx (example: 4300GE) and 5xxx (example: 5400U), plus the model Ryzen 3 2300X
- Ryzen 5 and 5 Pro with model numbers in the formats 3xxx (example: 3600XT), 4xxx (example: 4600GE) and 5xxx (example: 5600H), plus models 2500X, 2600, 2600E and 2600X
- Ryzen 7 and 7 Pro with model numbers in the formats 3xxx (example: 3800X), 4xxx (example: 4700GE) and 5xxx (example: 5800HS), plus models 2700, 2700X and 2700E
- Ryzen 9 and 9 Pro with model numbers in the formats 3xxx (example: 3900), 4xxx (example: 4900HS) and 5xxx (example: 5980HX)
- more these models Ryzen Threadripper, Athlon and Epyc