After many rumors, the Samsung made the launch of the Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G during the Unpacked event this Wednesday (11). The third generation of the foldable smartphone line now has pen support S Pen, which should please fans of the Galaxy Note family. The new cell phone from the South Korean manufacturer has a camera under the screen, following in the footsteps of competitors such as Xiaomi, and also has water resistance (IPX8).
Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G has camera under the screen
While the Galaxy Z Flip 3 has the proposal of being a smartphone that folds to fit better in your pocket, the Z Fold 3 is suitable for those who want an even bigger screen. Closed, the Galaxy Z Fold 3 has a 6.2-inch display, with HD+ resolution and adaptive refresh rate of up to 120 Hz.
Open, the smartphone resembles a tablet, with a 7.6-inch Dynamic AMOLED 2X screen. Samsung also applies adaptive refresh rate support of up to 120Hz here, for smoother graphics.
So that users can still enjoy all this space, the front camera in open mode is hidden under the display. A similar technology was used by Xiaomi in Mi Mix 4, presented last Tuesday (10) to the Chinese market.
The on-screen hidden sensor has 4MP resolution with f/1.8 lens aperture. The front camera of the cover (closed cell phone) is located in a small circle at the top of the panel, and has a 10 MP sensor (f/2.2).
On the back is a triple camera package with a 12MP main sensor (f/1.8) and optical image stabilization (OIS), a 12MP ultrawide lens (f/2.2) and a telephoto lens. 12MP (f/2.4) with up to 2x zoom, also with OIS.
The new S Pen Fold Edition and S Pen Pro
The Galaxy Z Fold 3’s compatibility with the S Pen was something to be expected — rumors have long indicated that Samsung would be considering ending the Note line, migrating the electronic pen to the Galaxy S lines and folding models.
Given that the Galaxy Z Fold 3 is the flexible model with the largest screen, it was only natural that it was chosen to receive support for the accessory.
Speaking of S Pen, Samsung is introducing two new models: the S Pen Fold Edition, compatible only with the new folding smartphone, and the already promised S Pen Pro, also compatible with other branded devices that support the pen.
The difference is that the Pro model has Bluetooth, allowing the execution of actions from a distance, and it also has an LED indicator. It can be charged via a USB port, and has a device switch button.
Galaxy Z Fold 3 is tougher
With protection against water (IPX8) and Gorilla Glass Victus, the Galaxy Z Fold 3 promises even greater resistance for the most diverse situations. Despite being more robust, the smartphone was lighter, with 271 grams, against 282 grams of the Z Fold 2. The manufacturer claims that the aluminum frame of the Z Fold 3 is the strongest ever made by the brand.
The Galaxy Z Fold 3 specs include a 5nm process processor, up to 2.84GHz octa-core, 12GB RAM and 256GB or 512GB UFS 3.1 storage. The phone comes with Android 11, dual battery that totals 4400 mAh and supports 5G networks.
Price and launch of Galaxy Z Fold 3 in Brazil
Samsung has not yet revealed the price of the Galaxy Z Fold 3 in the domestic market, but it costs US$ 1,800 in the United States, cheaper than its predecessor at launch. The Z Fold 3 was already approved by Anatel in July this year, for sale in Brazil.
For comparison purposes, the Galaxy Z Fold 2 (US$ 2,000) landed in the country for R$ 13,999, in October 2020. Abroad, the Z Fold 3 arrives in the new colors Phantom Black, Phantom Green and Phantom Silver.
Datasheet — Galaxy Z Fold 3:
- external: 6.2 inches, Dynamic AMOLED 2X panel, 2268 x 832 pixel resolution, 24.5:9 aspect ratio, 120 Hz refresh rate, Infinity-O
- internal: 7.6 inches, Dynamic AMOLED 2X panel, 2208 x 1768 pixel resolution, 22.5:18 aspect ratio, 11 to 120 Hz refresh rate
- Processor: octa-core up to 2.84 GHz, 5 nm
- RAM memory: 12 GB
- Storage: 256GB or 512GB
- Triple rear camera:
- main: 12 megapixel f/1.8 with optical image stabilization (OIS), 1.12 µm pixels
- ultrawide: 12 megapixels f/2.2, 1.8 µm pixels
- telephoto: 12 megapixels f/2.4, OIS, 1.0 μm pixels
- Frontal camera:
- external: 10 megapixels f/2.2, 1.22 µm pixels
- internal: 4 megapixels f/1.8 (under the screen), 2.0 µm pixels
- Drums: 4400 mAh, wired fast charging (25W), wireless fast charging (10W) and reverse charging (4.5W)
- Operational system: Android 11 with One UI
- Connectivity: 5G (NSA, SA, sub-6GHz, mmWave), 4G, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC, GPS, UWB
- closed: 158.2 x 67.1 x 16 mm
- open: 158.2 x 128.1 x 6.4 mm
- More: water resistance (IPX8), Gorilla Glass Victus, S Pen support
- Weight: 271 g
- Colors: Phantom Black, Phantom Green and Phantom Silver
Collaborated: Ana Marques