GTA 6 is not even formalized yet and yet all eyes of the fans of the saga are already on him. However, information and rumors about him are already starting to appear on the web. It may be time to take stock of everything we know about the future big production of Rockstar Games. Price, platforms, release date, details on the gameplay, find here everything you need to know about GTA 6.
GTA 6 is of course one of the most anticipated games by fans of the saga and Rockstar productions in general. For now at least, the American studio remains silent as a grave concerning its next game in open world. However, in mid-January 2020, a tax loophole that Rockstar Games benefited from suggested that the title would be in the works for several years now. You can find in this regularly updated file all the information, rumors and noise from corridors relating to GTA 6, the future juggernaut of Rockstar Games.
What is the GTA 6 release date?
Of course, no official release date has yet been announced for GTA 6. However, several rumors and leaks published on Reddit reveal a potential exit window. The most optimistic evoke a launch for the Christmas holidays 2021, while others are working instead for spring 2022.
Some theories prefer to dwell on the previous release schedules of Rockstar games. As specified by our colleagues from the GamesRadar site, the studio usually leaves exactly 22 months of beating between the official announcement of a game and its marketing.
This was the case for GTA 4, announced on May 10, 2006 and released on April 22, 2008, as well as for GTA 5, formalized on November 3, 2011, for a launch on September 17, 2013. In fact, some specialist analysts are also betting on this deadline. In other words, upon the official announcement of GTA 6, it would take another 22 months before you could get your hands on the game.
VentureBeats table him on a release in 2023, or even 2024! The site is based on Take Two’s financial forecasts which will peak at this time. A theory that holds, even if GTA 6 is not named in the said forecasts.
On which platforms will the game be released?
According to a major leak posted on Reddit (but since deleted) by user JackOLantern1982, GTA 6 will be exclusively for next-generation consoles, namely the PS5 and Xbox Series X. There is even talk of the game being exclusive to the Sony console for a few weeks. In view of the potential release dates, the two machines from Sony and Microsoft will have started to become more democratic and to integrate homes. Yes GTA 6 actually released at the end of 2021 or later, it will already be a year since the Xbox Series X and PS5 are available.
From a business point of view, it is better to launch GTA 6 on a fleet of next-gen consoles already sufficiently developed, in order to reach as many players as possible. No mention of a possible PC version is yet to be reported. However, we have to cross our fingers. Until then, all the canonical episodes of GTA as well as Red dead Redemption 2 made their way to PC gamers. Only Red Dead Redemption first of the name has never been adapted.
The safest information about GTA 6
On April 15, 2020, the journalist Jason shreier published a long article on the culture of crunch at Rockstar. He discusses the working conditions on Red Dead Redemption 2, but also the future project of the studio, namely GTA VI. This title would be smaller than the previous games, but would be more followed over time.
Rockstar could opt for a GTA Online formula, of the Game-as-service type. The title could be regularly watered with content in order to keep the players. This change of course would be a direct result of the controversies that rocked Rockstar during the release of Read Dead Redemption 2.
Several articles at the time denounced a very intense crunch culture, and almost mandatory at Rockstar. As a reminder, crunch means a period of intense work before the delivery of a product. An unfortunately common practice in the video game industry. Since the publication of these articles, Rockstar has been trying to fix things and revise their organization.
Making a “more modest” game is allowing Rockstar to improve development conditions, better manage the schedule and organize the work over the long term, not over a very short period of time. Just like GTA Online, players will experience the game and return to it regularly to test (and pay for?) The new content uploaded.
The latest rumors about GTA 6
At the moment, GTA 6 is still not formalized so there is no validated information from Rockstar. However, several leaks claiming to know certain details of the game have emerged on the net. Two of them got a lot of talk. The first appeared on Reddit in June 2019 and the second in May 2020. The first evokes a game strongly inspired by the Narcos series:
- The code name for GTA VI would be Project AMERICAS
- GTA VI is currently reportedly Rockstar’s main project alongside another new game (probably Bully 2)
The scenario :
- GTA VI would invite players to once again tread the streets of Vice City as well as an all-new city in South America, which would be a reproduction of the current Rio de Janeiro. Missions would also take place in other cities, such as Liberty City (GTA IV)
- The game would take place in the 80s and the player will play as a drug lord in the making. The player started out as a henchman in the cocaine trafficking business in Vice City, before rising through the ranks by developing partnerships with other drug godfathers.
- A gigantic Alcatraz-style prison would also be one of the play areas available.
- Martin Madrazo, leader of a Mexican cartel and well-known character in GTA V and GTA Online, could appear in the game in its early stages.
- The game would tackle social issues of the time such as the appearance of AIDS, communism, or even the tensions between the United States and Cuba without forgetting the golden age of the Colombian cartels, that of Medellin and Pablo. Escobar in the lead.
- The game’s storyline, characters, and narrative structure would be heavily inspired by the Netflix series Narcos and the Quentin Tarantino films (the game would take place in chapter form).
- The gameplay of the game would be a subtle balance between the arcade side of GTA 5 and the high realism of Red Dead Redemption 2
- The weather cycles would be managed in real time, and the fact that part of the game takes place in Latin America would bring new effects (tornado, storm, monsoon period, etc.)
- As GTA VI takes place over several years, vehicles, clothing style, and architecture of buildings could evolve as the character evolves
- The player’s personal vehicle would serve as a mini-hub, like the horse in Red Dead Redemption 2. Weapons would be stored in the trunk, and the player could not carry more than two weapons with him (again as on RDR 2)
- A ramp-up system (reputation, money, possibility of business development) would also be integrated, like what can be found on GTA Online
In May 2020, a new leak appeared on Reddit, bringing new details, not necessarily contradicting the information above. It evokes the place of action of GTA VI, but also several playable characters as well as some elements of the gameplay.
- GTA VI will be in production since 2016 or 2017, but pre-production is said to have started as early as 2013.
- This leak is said to have originated from a disgruntled Rockstar employee.
Regarding the scenario:
- The map would be as large as those of GTA V and Red Dead Redemption 2 combined. The playground would feature a fantasized Florida, but also a small island in Latin America that we would visit briefly.
- The city of Vice City would be making a comeback, but it wouldn’t be alone. There would be three major cities in total as well as a smaller one.
- The game would play four characters, compared to three in GTA V. Each would have their own skills. One of them is said to own a plane named the Raven.
- The story would feature a drug trade managed by these four protagonists.
- The game would take place in two different time frames: the 1980s and today.
- There would be children in the game (a first in the series)
- The character of Mori Kibbutz, appeared in GTA IV would be present in the game.
- The tone of the script would be halfway between the darkness of a GTA IV and the madness of GTA V.
Regarding the gameplay:
- The game would offer less linear missions than in GTA V and Red Dead Redemption 2, leaving more choices for the player.
- The gameplay would take over some elements of Red Dead Redemption 2, such as the use of tonics (here transformed into drugs).
- The game would offer parkour, inspired by that of Sleeping Dogs, GTA-like released in 2012.
- It would be possible to change characters at any time like in GTA V. Unlike the latter, the change animation would be more “entertaining”.
- The melee combat is said to be inspired by that of Red Dead Redemption 2.
- It would be possible to strengthen the characters.
- The use of weapons would be more realistic than in GTA V.
These Reddit leaks are obviously to be taken with a grain of salt. These could only be fantasies of gamers just wanting to get attention. Nevertheless, we notice certain information keep coming back, such as the presence of the city of Vice City, which players of old GTAs know well. But beware, because as Jason Shreier says, if a leak is a succession of specific points, it is wrong.
What will the GTA 6 map look like?
In October 2020, a supposed GTA 6 map has circulated on the net, or at least part of the map. You can see a mountainous island with, on its west side, a large city. By its geography, it could evoke Rio de Janeiro, mentioned above.
Even more, this island takes the form of part of the map which had leaked a few months ago. We could see Vice City, the island in question, but also another island as well as archipelagos. This could therefore corroborate the thesis of a GTA 6 with Narcos sauce. However, we must put it into perspective. These two cards have all the characteristics of fakes. Bad, what’s more.
A game designer analyzed the map and pointed out anything that was wrong. The city of Vice City, for example, is very poorly built, with no freeway interchanges inside the city for easy movement, no port areas and no canals. “The island of Rio” is also very monotonous in terms of game design, especially because of the beach that surrounds it. Rockstar indeed likes to “break” its environments to make them more interesting. In short, this map, if it is real, is the work of lazy and unimaginative game design, which is not the case with the developers of Rockstar.
Ultimately, this card has every chance of being fake, but you will certainly see it running a lot on the web.
This file is obviously likely to evolve according to official announcements or possible new leaks. We’ve been waiting for a sequel to GTA V for seven years now, and we hope Rockstar will give us an announcement about its sequel soon.