I forgot my cell phone password. Now how do I unlock my phone? The first measure is not to panic, as this is a common situation, especially given so many codes that we currently need to keep.
There are some ways to recover lock screen password. They are available on Android and iOS, but depending on the case a more drastic measure may be needed, which is to restore the device to factory settings.
Find out what to do if you forgot your cell phone password.
Forgotten password on Android
Have an Android phone? Try one of the suggestions below, depending on your case.
Android 4.4 or earlier phones
On smartphones running Android version 4.4 or earlier is the easiest method of unlocking the display. These old devices have the option “I forgot my password”, displayed after five failed access attempts.
Screen lock on Android 4.4.Source: Google/Disclosure
Just press it and enter the required data (Google account login and password) when it appears at the bottom of the screen. If the information entered is correct, the unlock will take place.
Samsung cell phones
If you have a South Korean branded phone and have registered your Samsung account on it, you can unlock it online through the Find My Mobile website, where you can also track the device.
Samsung Galaxy Remote Unlock.Source: Samsung/Disclosure
Follow the steps below to unlock your Samsung phone:
- Go to the Find My Mobile website, log in and select your phone;
- Check if the cellular network status is “Online”. If so, click on the “Unlock” option in the menu and re-enter the Samsung account password to confirm;
- Wait for remote screen unlock. When this happens, the message “Your phone is unlocked” will appear.
According to the manufacturer, using the function deletes all screen lock information (password, PIN, pattern and biometrics). At the end of the procedure, you will need to register new credentials to protect your phone.
Restore to factory settings
Did none of the previous methods work or fit your situation? Then, the alternative is to reset the phone to factory settings.
Resetting Android.Source: Verizon/Reproduction
Before proceeding, it is worth noting that all smartphone data will be erased, a big problem for those who do not have backup of information. But if your data is saved in the cloud, memory card or other device, you can recover it as soon as you restart the device.
Follow these steps to reset the phone to the locked screen:
- Hang up the phone;
- Press for a few seconds the power and volume down buttons;
- Use the volume knob to move the cursor to the “Recovery mode” option and power to select it;
- On the next screen, choose “Wipe Data/Factory Reset” and select using power;
- Now, go to “Yes-Delete All User Data” and tap the power button to confirm;
- Wait for the restoration to complete and press “Reboot” to turn the phone back on.
Forgotten password on iPhone
Forgot iPhone password? The bad news is that the available methods will erase your cell phone data, but that won’t be a problem if you’ve backed it up, and you can restore it later.
iPhone password.Source: Unsplash
Try one of these alternatives:
Unlock with iTunes
- Connect iPhone to the computer where iTunes is installed;
- Open iTunes and wait for the synchronization between devices, backing up in sequence, if you don’t have it;
- Once the previous process is finished, click on “Restore iPhone”;
- While restoring, click “Restore from an iTunes backup” on the setup screen;
- Select your device in iTunes, mark the newly created backup and wait for the procedure to finish;
- At the end, the cell phone will be in the same way as before, but without the access password, which can be registered again.
Did the previous method fail for some reason? You will need to turn on iPhone recovery mode. To do this, press and hold the side button and one of the volume buttons until the slider appears to turn off.
Drag it to turn off the phone, then connect the device to a computer running iTunes, holding the side button pressed until the recovery mode screen appears. These steps are for iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone SE (2nd generation), iPhone X and later (see instructions on Apple’s website for other models).
iPhone Restore.Source: Apple/Disclosure
Then click on the “Restore” option and wait for the software to download to the device. Once the process is complete, just set up your iPhone again and restore your backup data.