Many WhatsApp users are currently abandoning the messaging app and migrate to Signal, a more secure and privacy-friendly solution. We explain how to switch easily from one messaging system to another.
Why do WhatsApp users switch to Signal?
Regardless, the changes made by WhatsApp have generated a veritable exodus of users to Signal, a messaging app known to protect the privacy of its members. From January 7, Signal saw an explosion of registration requests. A few days later, Signal established itself as the most downloaded app on Android and iOS around the world. Tesla CEO Elon Musk even recommended internet users migrate to Signal.
Like WhatsApp, Signal lets you exchange messages, photos, videos, or make audio and video calls with your contacts. But unlike the messaging app bought by Facebook, Signal is regularly praised for its respect for the privacy of its users. In 2020, the Mozilla Foundation has designated Signal “Most secure communication application”. Under these conditions, it should come as no surprise that many Internet users now prefer Signal to WhatsApp. If this is also your case, we explain how to migrate easily below.
How to install Signal?
Installation and registration on Signal only takes a few minutes. It only takes a few moments to be able to get in touch with relatives who have already joined the secure messaging application. We explain all the steps below:
- Download Signal from the Play Store or the App Store
- Accept to receive Signal notifications on your smartphone
- Grant access to your contacts
- Enter your phone number
- Signal will send you a 6-digit code per message
- Enter this code in the app
- Define a PIN code as a password
- Add the contacts proposed by Signal
How to quit WhatsApp?
As a second step, you will obviously have to give up and delete your account on WhatsApp. But before you permanently delete your account, we will advise you toimport your WhatsApp group into Signal. For that, it is necessary that all the members of the group have already joined Signal. You will therefore first have to convince your relatives to migrate. Once it’s done, follow the manipulation below:
- Open Signal
- Tap the pen icon in the top right
- Click on New group
- Select group members
- Give the group a name
- Click on the group name at the top of the screen
- Go to Group link
- Tick Group link
- Copy the link offered by Signal and send it to your WhatsApp group
Once your group members have found themselves on Signal, you can finally delete your WhatsApp account. Here’s how to do it:
- Open WhatsApp application on mobile and meet in Settings, at the top right of the screen
- Go to Account > Delete my account
- Then follow the instructions on the screen to validate the deletion of your account.
We hope this tutorial will allow you to easily switch from WhatsApp to Signal. If an error has slipped into this file despite our vigilance, we invite you to let us know in the comments below.