Discord is a program developed for the gaming community to chat during games. Launched in 2015, it has been constantly updated with new features and functionality that make users’ lives easier.
And of course with these updates, Discord ends up becoming a tool for purposes other than conversations during games. And who have already noticed this were the podcasters. After all, the entire interface of the program is related to audio quality. And thanks to the ease of adding bots to conversations, all you had to do was create one capable of recording the conversation, and so Discord became a tool for recording podcasts.
Best of all, you don’t need to download the desktop version of Discord. All features can be accessed directly from the browser.
How to record podcast on Discord
The first step is to create a server for you to use for your recordings. To do this, just click on the “+” icon in the lower left corner and choose the option “Create mine”. In the next window, you must decide if you want a closed server for you and your friends, or if you prefer to create for a club or community. In this tutorial we will explain using the first option.
Once that’s done, you must choose the name of the server and, if you want, you can add a photo to help differentiate it from the others. Now the server for your podcast will appear in the tab located on the right side of the screen. If you haven’t placed any images, the first letter of the name is highlighted.
Create a server so you can organize and record your podcast with your friends.Source: Discord/Disclosure
Now that you have your server, you will need a bot to record conversations. Discord has numerous options, which make the use more interesting. For recording podcasts, what you should add is Craig. In short, it is a software that performs recordings, with the advantage of using multi-channels for this. That is, each participant will have their audio recorded on a different channel.
The main advantage of recording this way is that when editing, if a person’s audio is too noisy, it won’t compromise the entire recording. In addition, you can download the conversation in different formats, including as an Audacity project, ready for your editing.
Check out the step by step below.
- Access Craig’s website by clicking here;
- Choose the Invite Craig to your Discord server option;
- On the next page you should choose which server you want to include the bot and authorize it to join;
To be able to add Craig to conversations and make recordings, just select the desired option and authorize him to access your server.Source: Discord/Disclosure
At this stage, it is important to follow the steps below to ensure the recording is done correctly.
- Start a voice chat normally, with as many friends as you like;
- In text chat, type the command “:craig:, join” (without the quotes) and Craig starts recording the audio of everyone on the call;
- After you finish recording type the command “:craig:, exit” (without the quotes) to make Craig stop recording;
- Go to Craig’s icon that appeared on the upper left side to access the recording link (if you need to access the link again, just click on Craig’s avatar in the upper right corner and then on Message);
- On the conversation screen you will have a link that will redirect you to the page to download and another to delete the conversation (be careful not to click on the wrong option);
- Now you need to decide which download option depending on your needs or how you intend to edit the podcast;
Formats marked with ‘*’ require processing in your browser. This is currently a beta feature; if you have problems, choose a different format.Source: Discord/Disclosure
It’s important to remember that download links are available for seven days. Therefore, it is recommended to download the audio as soon as the conversation is over and keep at least one backup copy.