Today is launch day for Samsung! The company is focusing on folding smartphones, and the Galaxy Z Flip 3 is an example of this: the new generation of the flip phone brings a larger external screen, 120 Hz internal screen, a more resistant body and water resistance. At the Unpacked event, the Korean also presented Galaxy Z Fold 3, Buds 2 and Watch 4.
The Galaxy Z Flip 3 is the direct successor to the Galaxy Z Flip; Samsung “jumped” a generation here. Still, the new cell phone represents an evolution similar to what the foldable Motorola Razr went through: one of the highlights is the larger external 1.9-inch screen (previously 1.1″), which allows you to take selfies more easily without opening the device. , in addition to viewing notifications.
Opening the phone, you find a 6.7-inch AMOLED screen, just like the original Z Flip. The big difference is in the 120 Hz refresh rate, for smoother scrolling. Samsung has been embracing this technology on flagships like the Galaxy S21 and Note 20, and it’s cool to see it showing up on a foldable display as well. (It just isn’t compatible with the S Pen.)
Galaxy Z Flip 3 is water resistant
The Galaxy Z Flip 3 is one of the first water resistant folding cell phones, along with the Fold 3. It is IPx8 certified, meaning it can withstand up to 1.5 m of fresh water for up to 30 minutes. Still, Samsung remembers that the device “is not recommended for use at the beach or pool”; also, it’s not dust resistant, so it’s good to take care to protect the folding screen – it has debris ingress protections, but it’s always good to be on the safe side.
The back is protected by tougher Gorilla Glass Victus glass, and Samsung claims the aluminum frame is the company’s “strongest of all.”
I found the Z Flip 3 prettier than the previous generation, thanks to the two-tone rear – a design reminiscent of the Galaxy S21. When the smartphone is open, the back is more continuous, with right angles where the two halves meet. (Before, there were curves close to the hinge.) That is, when unfolded, the device looks like a “real” more traditional cell phone.
Samsung is dedicated to offering several customization options: it comes in cream, green, lavender and black; in addition to the exclusive gray, white and pink tones for the company’s official store. In addition, there are three models of cases in different colors: one of the designs has a fabric handle to hold the smartphone more easily.
The battery is the same size as the original Z Flip, which was the low point in our review of the device – it has a battery life of up to one day, but with more moderate use. The cameras remain the same: 12MP dual on the outside, and 10MP in a hole in the foldable inner screen.
Galaxy Z Flip 3 price and release
The Galaxy Z Flip 3 will cost $999.99 in the US: it will be available on pre-order from August 11, both in the US and in Europe and South Korea. stores, on Aug. 27, will receive one year of Samsung Care+24 protection, premium support with accidental damage insurance, including screen replacement, water damage and back cover replacement.
The price of the Galaxy Z Flip 3 in Brazil has not yet been announced. Samsung did not reveal when the folding cell phone will be launched here, but it has already been approved by Anatel.
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3 5G – Technical Data:
- main (internal): 6.7-inch Dynamic AMOLED, Full HD+ (2640 x 1080), 425 ppi, 22:9 aspect ratio, Infinity Flex, 120 Hz, 900 nits brightness (1200 nits peak)
- external: 1.9 inch Super AMOLED, 512 x 260, 303 ppi, 935 nit brightness
- Processor: 64-bit octa-core and 5 nm
- RAM: 8 GB
- Storage: 128GB or 256GB UFS 3.1
- External cameras:
- main: 12 megapixels f/1.8, 1.4 um pixels, Dual Pixel autofocus, OIS
- ultrawide: 12 megapixels f/2.2, 1.12 um pixels
- glass: Super Clear Glass with Gorilla Glass DX
- Front camera (internal): 10 megapixels f/2.4, 1.22 um pixels
- Drums: 3300 mAh
- Recharge: up to 15W wired, up to 10W wireless, 4.5W wireless reverse (Wireless PowerShare)
- Operational system: Android 11 with One UI
- Connectivity: USB-C, Wi-Fi 6 (ax), Bluetooth 5.1, NFC, location (GPS, BeiDou, Galileo, Glonass), eSIM + nano SIM, 4G (4×4 MIMO, 7CA, LAA, LTE Cat. 20), 5G (NSA, SA, sub-6 GHz, mmWave)
- Sensors: digital reader on the side, accelerometer, gyroscope, barometer, compass, Hall, proximity, luminosity
- More: IPX8 resistance, MST and NFC support for payments, stereo speaker with Dolby Atmos
- open: 166 x 77.7 x 6.9 mm
- closed: 86.4 x 77.7 x 17.1 mm (taking into account the hinge)
- Weight: 183 g
Collaborated: Felipe Ventura