The new generation of consoles has arrived and with it the PS5. The new console from Sony is available in two versions, with and without disc, and although the device has similarities with the PS4 there are news as well. Here are some tips to get to know the device and get more out of what it has to offer.
The PlayStation 5 arrives in Brazil on November 19, 2020. With the suggested prices of R $ 4,199, for the Digital Edition, and R $ 4,699 for the model with disc player, the console debuts an SSD in the PlayStation family besides of the new DualSense control.
Did you buy a PS5? Get to know the console better:
1. Good practices for installing the PS5 and preserving it
The PS5 is a large console, by Sony’s own standard, and not very light. With dimensions of 39 x 10.4 x 26 cm (width x height x depth), the device weighs 4.5 kg. That said, the first thing you will have to think about is where to best accommodate it in your living room or bedroom.
As not everyone has a spacious shelf, for example, some precautions need to be taken to ensure the long term health of the PS5.
For example, to maintain good device ventilation:
- Place the console at least 10 cm away from the wall;
- Do not place it on or in close proximity to carpets, rugs or tablecloths with very long fibers;
- Do not place it in a very small or tight space;
- Definitely do not cover it with cloths when it is on;
- Keep your console clean. Prevent dust from accumulating in the air vents.
2. Games available at launch
Most PS4 games can be played on the PS5 through the backward compatibility feature, but of course when it comes to a new console the expectation is always around which titles will be released together with the new video game.
Sony has already confirmed some games to debut with the PS5, such as:
- Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales
- Marvel’s Spider-Man: Remastered
- Astro’s Playroom
- Demon’s Souls
- Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition
- Sackboy: The Great Adventure
- Just Dance 2021
3. Can I download my PS4 games on PS5?
Yes! As mentioned in the previous topic, you can download / install games that you have already purchased on your PS4 for PS5 (digital or via disc). In addition, you can also redeem your precious saves from the previous console for your brand new PlayStation 5.
You can find the entire procedure for transferring games and saves from PS4 to PS5.
4. How to adjust the console audio
There are three ways to obtain audio on the PS5:
- For the sound that comes straight from the TV;
- For the sound emitted through the DualSense control;
- By the sound when using a headset.
To adjust the quality and intensity of these audios, go to Settings (gear icon in the upper right corner of the home screen) and then Audio. In this menu, you configure both the input and output of sounds.
Remembering that to enable the customization of the sound in the headset (or headset) it needs to be connected to the PS5 (plugged into the controller, for example).
In the Audio menu, you can also personalize your user interface experience by turning the music on or off from the main screen, enabling or disabling sound effects and adjusting the audio format priority (Bitstream / Dolby, Bitstream / DTS and Linear PCM) .
It is worth remembering that it is possible to quickly turn the voice pickup on and off, through the DualSense microphone, by pressing a small button on the control itself.
5. Internal storage: how much is left for the user
The PS5 comes with a custom SSD of 825 GB, but this is not exactly the space that is actually available. To check how much you can still install on the PlayStation 5 SSD, go to Settings> Storage.
The actual amount of storage available on the console is shown in “Free space”. Of these 825 GB, around 45 GB is reserved for the system only (this may vary as more updates come out).
If you already use a USB storage unit with games installed on the PS4, for example, you can connect this device to the PS5 and run the games directly from there. To do this, connect a USB drive to format it for the new console.
Unfortunately, the PS5 will not allow – already at launch – to expand the internal space of the device with a new SSD. According to Sony, the function of exchanging the SSD for another one will be enabled “in a future update”.
6. Can I use PS4 accessories on PS5?
In a way yes, but with some limitations (depending on the accessory). It is necessary, however, that these are official from Sony or licensed by the company:
- Special peripherals such as: steering wheels, arcade controls and controls for flight simulators will work with PS5 games and compatible PS4 games;
- Sony headsets for the PlayStation (Gold and Platinum series), as well as headsets that connect via USB or 3.5 mm connector will work on the PlayStation 5;
- DualShock 4, in addition to controls licensed by Sony, will also work on PS4 games (running on PS5);
- The motion controls, PS Move and PlayStation VR Aim Controller, can be used in compatible VR games on the PS5.
It is worth mentioning that DualShock 4 will not work on native PS5 games, according to a statement from the PlayStation blog (in English). However, the PS4’s PlayStation Camera will be compatible with the PS5 for VR games. It will be necessary to use an adapter that will be provided, at no additional cost, to PS VR users – according to the company.
7. How to update the system?
Usually, just as it already works on PlayStation 4, when there is a new system update the console itself will notify you of this – the next time the device connects to the internet.
However, if you want to check manually, go to Settings> System. There, go to System software> Update and system software settings. Finally, select Update system software (using the internet or from a USB drive).
8. Can I play with friends on PS4?
Yes. PS5 players will be able to play with PS4 players and vice versa. In fact, in the Game Base menu (where your friends are) you can display all the parties you have recently interacted with, as well as create new ones and call your friends.
Don’t worry: your friends list will not be deleted. Recalling that, to play multiplayer online, it is necessary to subscribe to PS Plus.
9. Will all PS4 games get updates for PS5?
While Sony has ensured that most games released for the PS4 will be available on the PS5 (via backward compatibility) the inclusion of additional features, such as graphics improvements and extra content, will depend on each developer.
Some games, for example, will already have versions optimized for the PS5 to download – even if you originally bought the game for the PS4.
10. Does the PS5 have a region lock?
The PlayStation 5 has no region lock and this information is from Sony itself. Thus, a PS5 purchased in Brazil will be able to run games from different countries without any compatibility problem. The PS4 also does not have this regional handicap.
The only limiter, so to speak, remains on account. For example: if you have purchased a game on a Brazilian account you will need to be logged into it and download the game for it, if you want this title to be available for other accounts associated with the same PlayStation 5.