The universe of content creation and transmission continues to grow. When we think of live game streaming, we remember Twitch and now Facebook Gaming. What are the characteristics of each platform and what can make one more advantageous than the other? Let’s find out in my comparative: Facebook Gaming or Twitch those answers.
Which platform has the most viewers, chat support and operational facilities? Twitch has a small advantage in the beginning as it has expanded the game streaming model. Facebook Gaming, despite the brand strength, recently entered the fray.
Interface: Facebook Gaming or Twitch?
An initial and crucial observation, to access Twitch, one must enter the platform page, created for this purpose. In Facebook Gaming it appears as a new tab in the top menu of Facebook, along with Watch, Marketplace and Groups, with these options it is easier to distract the audience’s attention by dispersing viewers.
- It contains few navigation icons: I believe that the attempt to keep fewer options seeks to make control of the platform simpler;
- Recommended channels: the list with streamers you follow, games, live esports and suggestions is not available on the first impression of the page, it is necessary to scroll down;
- Chat: when entering a broadcast the chat tool is practically nonexistent, it looks like a simple Facebook comment tab.
- It contains few navigation icons: they are at the top: search, esports, music and (…). The three dots icon opens up a multitude of options, divided between General and Help. Everything the streamer can access over there, so everything is “on hand”;
- Recommended channels: They are visible at the opening of the page, on the left side, facilitating the entry in the content of the streamers of interest;
- Chat: entering a broadcast the chat is located on the right side, with several interactions in real time, tools, super chat.
Spectators: Facebook Gaming or Twitch?
The potential number of viewers is different on both platforms, Twitch has been in the business for many years, while Facebook Gaming is starting its journey. The number of loyalty on Twitch is much higher than Facebook Gaming.
- The game with the highest number of “viewers” is PUBG with 58.9 thousand viewers (while the article was being produced);
- Live highlights: in the live highlights that were shown to me, the largest audience was 1,200 simultaneous viewers (while the article was being produced). These values can be different if Facebook only tells me local content;
- Known streamers: in the area of recommended streamers, only one was live, one person with 232 thousand subscribers but with an audience of 826 people (while the article was being produced).
- The game with the largest number of “viewers” is Among Us with 194.8 thousand viewers (while the article was being produced);
- Live highlights: in the live highlights that were shown to me, the largest audience was 26,900 viewers in a Rocket League broadcast;
- Known streamers: Gaules is one of the best known streamers in Brazil with almost 2 million subscribers to the channel, and at the time of the article it was broadcasting to 23.7 thousand viewers.
Beginner support: Facebook Gaming or Twitch?
Gamers may want to start broadcasting, how to do it right? In this respect Twitch has great support, in addition to maintaining a blog with news and articles on how to work your content, it has its own platform for streamers to make their lives, Twitch Studio.
- Platform: Facebook Gaming offers Live Producer, a very simple platform to control the publication of streaming on your page. It allows integration with various software such as OBS.
- Blog with tips and updates: Facebook Gaming does not have a specific blog for beginners teaching how to start broadcasting, it is necessary to enter the support page and search for information;
- Available information: it is not clear, the candidate for streamer on Facebook Gaming is a bit dark, although the operation is simplified, it does not leave information on how to start.
- Platform: Twitch Studio, a downloadable program offered by Twitch that quietly replaces any other streaming controller. You do not need to look for additional programs;
- Blog with tips and updates: Twitch keeps a blog always updated with the news that will come on the platform, in addition to a part intended for transmission, containing all the information you need to get started;
- Available information: the whole platform is full of information, how the chat works, the issue of monetization, they seek to bring all the content to the streamers.
Brand strength: Facebook Gaming or Twitch?
The strength of the Facebook brand that the game streaming platform brings to its body is indisputable. Because it is in the beginning, it does not yet reflect the potential of Facebook Gaming. Twitch is a platform with many years of road in the gamer environment, so it is already consolidated, almost a Top of mind when we think of games stream. For now, this condition makes Twitch have a brand advantage in the specific game segment.
Best option: Twitch
In summary, Twitch for its experience in the market is the winner in this dispute. Facebook Gaming isn’t bad, but it still has a long way to go to improve the platform. I do not doubt the growth capacity of Facebook and with time the game streaming platform can live up to the mark of Mark Zuckerberg.
This comparison is a personal analysis of the characteristics of each platform, but it is worth taking a look and discover which one you feel most comfortable with.