CD Projekt reimbursed only 30,000 players out of 13.7 million sales

Cyberpunk 2077 sold almost 14 million copies in 2020, CD Projekt reported. Of all these games that have passed, only 30,000 have been reimbursed by the studio. The latter does not intend to abandon his baby despite the disastrous launch.

Cyberpunk

Cyberpunk 2077 made video game history, not because of its playfulness, but because of its completely disastrous launch, which has become a textbook case. This whole story had little financial impact on CD Projekt studio. The game has indeed sold to 13.7 million copies. An exceptional result. In addition, only very few copies were reimbursed.

When Cyberpunk 2077 was released in December, fans who had fallen for the PS4 and Xbox One version were quickly disillusioned: the title was ugly, buggy, rowing. In short, it was unplayable. Anger quickly mounted and CD Projekt then offered unconditional reimbursement to those who requested it. Sony and Microsoft followed suit and also removed the title from the PS Store and Xbox Live (it’s still missing today). In a meeting with investors, CD Projekt gave some details about these repayments. In total, only 30,000 players out of almost 14 million have asked to return the title. This equates to a cost of $ 2.17 million to the studio, or a drop in revenue from Cyberpunk.

Piotr Nielubowicz, CEO of the Polish studio, said that 95% of requests were met. What about the remaining 5%? They are on hold, he said, slowed down by the differences in banking systems around the world. But they should be fully satisfied. CD Projekt is walking on eggshells, as its image has been tarnished by the disastrous release of its game, and therefore makes a point of paying back all the dissatisfied.

Cyberpunk 2077 was a colossal success

There has been a lot of talk about Cyberpunk 2077 for this completely chaotic launch. However, it should not be denied that the game was a huge success. 13.7 million sales in 2020, or not even a month, is an all-time speed record in the industry.

Read also – Cyberpunk 2077: release date, price, platforms and lifespan

CD Projekt doesn’t just rely on its new license to make money, as it can also count on its flagship game: The Witcher 3. Released five years ago, the title is still a colossal success, so much so that 2020 was its second best year since its launch. In total, the action role-playing game has sold over 30 million copies. The title is also likely to experience another successful year in 2021 with its release on PS5 and Xbox Series X with improved graphics.

CD Projekt won’t let Cyberpunk down

Could Cyberpunk 2077 follow the same path as its predecessor, becoming a long-seller and making its launch forgotten? It is in any case the studio’s posted goal.

A few weeks ago, the second big patch, 1.2, arrived on consoles and PC. An important update that fixes a lot of performance issues. If there are still issues, we clearly don’t have the same title as at launch. Even on “old” generation consoles, it is relatively stable, oscillating between 25 and 30 frames per second (while it regularly fell below 10 on output).

Adam Kicinski of CD Projekt has bluntly announced that he is abandoning development clearly was not an option and that his teams would continue to work hard on the title. 2021 will be a pivotal year for Cyberpunk. In addition to the fixes, the studio plans to release the first DLCs, but also the PS5 and Xbox Series X versions of the game, whose development has so far been put on hold.

Leave a Comment