Asus took advantage of the beginning of this Wednesday (22) to announce the launch of the ROG Phone 3, a gamer smartphone that uses the Snapdragon 865 Plus in this generation and increases one of the features that most differentiates this model from other competitive phones: the side buttons , type L and R.
The screen remains 6.59 inches in OLED panel and with Full HD + resolution, but has increased the refresh rate to 144 Hz, keeping the response rate at 1 ms and compatibility with HDR10 content. Inside, the performance leap is not giant, but it takes advantage of the new Snapdragon 865 Plus, which was announced later this month and promises to have a performance 10% higher than that found in the traditional 865, which already had 25% more performance when compared to the Snapdragon previous generation.
Another point that increases performance, especially in games, is that the ROG Phone 3 uses LPDDR5 and UFS 3.1 memory, which can be up to 16 GB and 512 GB respectively. With all this at high speed, the Asian manufacturer has remodeled its internal heat transfer system and promises that gambling goes on for longer without throttling in SoC – it just didn’t say how much extra time.
In addition to running the games well, the smartphone can also take pictures. At the rear is a set of three lenses, the main camera with 64 megapixels, an ultrawide with 13 megapixels and another for macro, with 5 megapixels. At the front is a single sensor with 24 megapixels.
The battery is 6,000 mAh and the system is controlled by Android 10, which runs under Asus’ changed interface for the ROG line, which is called the ROG UI and which brings some extra features, such as a mode that increases performance at the expense of higher energy consumption – and heat generation.
New accessories and features
As only hardware changes little when the competition also bets on the gamer market, which today received the first model from Lenovo, Asus updated an extra feature of the ROG Phone 3 and improved some accessories. The extra feature is the side area that is touch sensitive and simulates the use of L and R buttons.
With the name of AirTrigger, the area is now able to identify two touch points on each side (it changes from two to four buttons at this point) and also notices whether the finger has moved from left to right, or the other way around. You know if this movement was fast or not and each of these types of touch can be used to map a touch area on the screen; that is: it becomes more button.
Finally, the motion sensor can also recognize when the device is shaken and this movement generates another mapped button.
Along with this touch-sensitive area, Asus continues with a large line of accessories that can help cool the back of the device, promising to lower the gadget by 4 degrees, another is a physical control called Kunai, which remains a blatant copy of the Joys -Cons and Nintendo Switch Comfort Grip.
The Twinview Dock has also been updated and the secondary screen now displays the same 144 Hz refresh rate as the smartphone screen. In the list of new accessories there are four, a support to lock the ROG Phone 3 on a controller that can be Xbox One or Google Stadia, in addition to a headset with USB-C connection, which has active noise isolation and RGB light on the outside – RGB light gives extra fps, everyone knows it.
The third new accessory is a mechanical keyboard called ROG Falchion, which has its own battery and Asus promises up to 400 hours of continuous use. The last is the ROG Strix XG16, which is a 15.6-inch screen that also has its own battery, uses a rear support to stand or lie down, has a refresh rate of 144 Hz, in addition to taking the smartphone image with help of a USB-C cable.
When and how much?
The ROG Phone 3 will be released in two versions, the Strix Edition replacing the SNapdragon 865 Plus with the traditional Snapdragon 865 and the ROG Phone 3 which has the processor with a Plus suffix. The device arrives this month in Europe and the prices are divided as follows:
- ROG Phone 3 Strix Edition: 8 GB RAM + 256 GB: 799 euros
- ROG Phone 3: 12 GB RAM + 512 GB: 999 euros
- ROG Phone 3: 16 GB RAM + 512 GB: 1099 euros
There is still no forecast for the launch of the ROG Phone 3 in Brazil.
Asus ROG Phone 3 – specs
- Screen: 6.59 inch OLED, Full HD + resolution (2340 x 1080 pixels), 19.5: 9 aspect ratio and 144 Hz refresh rate
- ROG Phone 3: Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 Plus 3.1 GHz octa-core and Adreno 650 graphics chip
- ROG Phone 3 Strix Edition: Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 2.84 GHz octa-core and Adreno 650 graphics chip
- ROG Phone 3: 12 GB or 16 GB LPDDR5
- ROG Phone 3 Strix Edition: 8 GB LPDDR5
- ROG Phone 3: 512 GB UFS 3.1
- ROG Phone 3 Strix Edition: 256 GB UFS 3.1
- Triple rear camera:
- main: 64 megapixels
- ultrawide: 13 megapixels
- macro: 5 megapixels
- Frontal camera: 24 megapixels
- Drums: 6000 mAh with 30 watt charger
- Operational system: Android 10 (ROG UI)
- Connectivity: 1x USB-C, 1x USB 3.1 Gen 2 proprietary on the side, Bluetooth 5.1, Wi-Fi 6 (802.11a / b / g / n / ac / ax 2 × 2 MIMO), NFC and GPS (GNSS GPS (L1 / L5 ), Glonass (L1), Galileo (E1 / E5a), BeiDou (B1 / B2a), QZSS (L1 / L5) and NavIC (L5))
- More: digital player under the screen, stereo sound, four microphones and ultrasonic sensors for games
- Dimensions and weight: 171 x 78 x 9.85 mm, 240 g