THE apple announced an update for the Mac Pro, with AMD GPU options that promise a dramatic leap in performance for demanding graphics tasks. But the novelty promises to break price records, reaching almost BRL 700 thousand (considering the most advanced version of the computer). The new video cards Radeon Pro W6800X, W6800X Duo and W6900X promise to be up to 50% better in performance per watt than Vega II’s predecessors.
According to Apple, the upgrade makes it possible to run the Octane X rendering tool 84% faster, and the DaVinci Resolve app with up to 23% better performance. But the price is hard to even imagine: it’s a additional from BRL 30,000 the value of the Mac Pro, which was already sky high.
Putting it on the tip of the pencil, you could have to shell out up to R$687,599 to build a Mac Pro with everything you’re entitled to, including the most advanced model of the new Radeon Pro.
Mac Pro has already gone through two price increases in Brazil
The Mac Pro was launched in Brazil in February 2020 for R$ 55,999. At that time, the price was already chilling for Brazilian consumers — which is justifiable up to a point: the common consumer is not the target audience for this type of product. But things got even more alarming: Apple practiced an increase just a month later, raising the starting price to R$ 61,599.
And, as the Techblog, prices had another jump in November 2020, starting at a minimum of R$ 79,499 in the most basic version, without training wheels.
New Radeon Pro start at R$30,000
With the graphics chip upgrade, a Mac Pro starts at R$ 109,499. For this price, you get a 3.5GHz octa-core Intel Xeon W processor (Turbo Boost up to 4GHz), 32GB ECC DDR4 memory, Radeon Pro W6800X GPU with 32GB GDDR6 memory, and 256GB SSD — if you want to add wheels to your Mac, you’ll have to pay another R$4,000.
It is worth mentioning that models with Radeon Pro Vega II and Vega II Duo cards with HBM2 memory are no longer sold.
|Apple Mac Pro||Basic model||Most expensive model (so far)|
|Processor||8-core Intel Xeon W (3.5GHz, 4GHz turbo)||28-core Intel Xeon W (2.5GHz, 4.4GHz in turbo)|
|Video card||AMD Radeon Pro 580X with 8GB GDDR5 memory||2x Radeon Pro W6900X with 32GB of GDDR6 memory each|
|SSD storage||256 GB||8 TB|
|Base||fixed foot (tower version only)||casters (tower version only)|
|Prices in Brazil and USA, tower version||BRL 79,499
|Prices in Brazil and USA, rack version||BRL 85,099
Apple charges $300k for 1.5TB of RAM on Mac Pro
Below are the additional amounts that Apple charges for each Mac Pro upgrade, whether in the tower or rack version. Remember that the 1.5 TB RAM option is only sold in conjunction with the 24 or 28 core Intel Xeon.
- 32GB RAM: (base model)
- 48 GB of RAM: + BRL 3,750
- 96 GB of RAM: + BRL 12,500
- 192 GB of RAM: + BRL 37,500
- 384 GB of RAM: + BRL 75,000
- 768 GB of RAM: + R$ 175,000
- 1.5 TB of RAM: + BRL 312,500
- 256GB SSD: (base model)
- 1 TB SSD: + BRL 5,000
- 2 TB SSD: + BRL 10,000
- 4 TB SSD: + BRL 17,500
- 8 TB SSD: + R$ 32,500
- 8-core Intel Xeon W (3.5GHz / 4GHz): (basic model)
- 12-core Intel Xeon W (3.2 GHz / 4.4 GHz): + R$ 12,500
- 16-core Intel Xeon W (3.2 GHz / 4.4 GHz): + R$ 25,000
- 24-core Intel Xeon W (2.7 GHz / 4.4 GHz): + R$ 75,000
- 28-core Intel Xeon W (2.5 GHz / 4.4 GHz): + R$ 87,500
- Radeon Pro 580X with 8GB GDDR5: (base model)
- Radeon Pro W5500X with 8 GB GDDR6: + R$ 2,500
- Radeon Pro W5700X with 16 GB GDDR6: + R$ 7,500
- Radeon Pro W6800X with 32 GB GDDR6: + BRL 30,000
- Radeon Pro W6900X with 32GB GDDR6: + 70,000
- 2x Radeon Pro W6900X with 32 GB GDDR6 each: + R$ 145,000
- Apple Afterburner: + R$ 25,000
- Body with wheels (only tower version): + R$4,000
Collaborated: Felipe Ventura